Thursday, February 02, 2006

Killing with Kindness

Goodness. I was frustrated this afternoon. Mostly frustrated with myself I guess. The behavior of my student(s) was wrong and someone got hurt. I learned something about myself too. It is easy to be angry about things that happen to people you care more/most about and to disregard and be unaware about bad things happening to those you care least for.

Kids are cruel, but to be fair we all are. We just are less honest about it, I think. It's funny. I was a youth minister in graduate school and I quickly learned that I could point out any flaw in a child or parishioner if I simply tacked on the term, "bless their heart."

"He is such a little terror, bless his heart."

"She is so unco-ordinated, bless her heart."

"I'm sure he didn't mean to lie, cheat and steal, bless his heart."

I caught on to my own use of the phrase when I heard another, sweet, dear, Christian soul mention to another mother next to her how truly ugly one of their friends' daughters was, bless her heart. How many times did I couch an insult that way? I resolved then to change.

When I caught myself chuckling at the idea of a mean kid (who is still just a kid, and may have reasons behind his behavior, may grow out of it, or may have never had a better example) having something awful happen to him that I found monumentally upsetting when it actually happened to a well behaved child, I realized I was still "blessing their hearts."

Yes, Lord. I heard you. Please bless my heart and help me change.

No comments: