Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Sandy's Great Adventure (The Final Chapter!)

On Day 7 we went to Cozumel, Mexico, which is an island. At the island Mark and I caught a tender to the main land and began our journey to go see the Tulum Mayan Ruins. This was what had been the most anticipated event of the trip for me, intellectually. (Emotionally I was the most excited about the dolphins). It was so hot and humid, but it was a beautiful day. The trip took an hour by bus after nearly 45 minutes by tender boat. When we got to the ruins we had about two hours and then we had to come back to the bus. On the bus our first tour guide began to tell us about the Mayan culture, the Yucatan Penn, and the ruins we were going to see. He, himself, was Mayan and had many fascinating insights into this world that existed so long ago. I could have listened to him for hours. Then at the ruins a different guide took us throughout he ruins and spoke to us about the world that had been there, what the building meant and about the religion. The fact that Mayans had used very peaceful worship for many generations and then under influence of the Aztec began to add human sacrifice was very sad to me. They were clearly a beautiful and graceful group of people. To be corrupted that way is just sad. The ruins were very well preserved. One way they were able to accomplish this was by not letting anyone into them. So all you could see was the buildings from about five feet away (as close as they would let you get). In some ways that was sad too. I mean it makes sense for sake of preservation and all, and people can be so stupid and careless and damage things with out even thinking, but I wanted to walk with these people some more and feel them a bit more, you know? It was really neat. Like walking through downtown Florence and Rome and London and just feeling all the years and centuries of culture just oozing inward on you. It made me feel in many way connected and in so many others separate. I'll move on now before I sound really nuts.

I guess, as a sightseeing thing, Tulum was my favorite, though the River Falls and the Sting Rays were the most "fun" and the dolphins were the most emotionally satisfying.

Now we had three last days of luxury. Two at sea and one on a private island in the Bahamas. While On the cruise I took Yoga classes, and on the island we were able to do the yoga on the beach which was really neat, though a little gritty. Yoga is actually kind of cool, but I would say that when I watch all the others do it they look so graceful and lean. I look rather ridiculous, but it was still fun.

Also there were the shows at night. Musicians, Comedians and wonder of wonders, Acrobats! A group, kind of like Circ de Solei. Trapeeze artists, acrobats, dancers, gymnasts and so graceful and strong and it was stunning. I found myself wondering why you would do that on a ship with the floor moving beneath you. That takes some real courage if you ask me. There was even a Second City comedy Troupe that was there and they did classes on improv. It was so neat to listen and learn and watch and LAUGH! The magician did a class about memory abilities that was amazing and I really learned some neat tricks I intend to use in class.

Last but most importantly, the food on this cruise was unbelievable. The sushi was terrific. They made California Rolls with Mango instead of avocado. Oh my. The fish was so fresh, which I found fascinating, considering the fact that much of it had had to have been frozen. The restaurants were all excellent, with good service. The steak place, served one of the best steaks I've had in years. Also the salads, deserts and fruit were all very nice. The pacific cuisine restaurant had a ginger creme brulee that was to die for. It was so good one night I even went by and asked, although I had eaten at a different restaurant, if I could just have a brulee? They brought two out to me with spoons and I took them up to the room. Mark came in, turned on the TV and then asked if I'd gotten one of the two for him. I smiled and said, "no." It was so creamy with a perfect crust on top. The ginger was there, but very subtle and not overpowering or overly spicy to compete with the texture. Also, there was an avacado and grapefruit salad with chipolte lime dressing that was so elegant. They had real mozerella de buffula with the tomatoes and fresh basil, real italian parchuetto with ripe cantelope and the shrimp cocktail was never rubbery. The drinks were a bit weak, but I'm not much of a drinker so that was fine with me, and Mark said the wine was very good.

Overall this was an amazing trip. I'm still digesting all of it. I suppose for a control freak like me it is a great vacation. My control issues are on holiday as everything is taken care of for me. It was just perfect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Maybe I will have to try that.