Friday, May 12, 2006

"I hate you!"

First, Thanks everyone for the kind words to Nana. I passed on your birthday wishes. She had a very nice day and she is thrilled with her butterfly balloons. As I said, her joy tends to be humbling.

Now for more end of the school year ranting.

A student walked into my class yesterday and said, "You know, Ms. X, lots of students really don't like you."

"Yes, well, I know 2nd period isn't happy with me right now, they didn't do their assignments so I'm making them write 20 essays instead of a single short story. But that was their choice. They were warned for over a week."

"Well, yeah, they aren't happy, but there were people last semester who didn't like you either."

"Thanks for letting me know."

"No problem."

Honestly, while on a personal/emotional level having the affection of my students is an attractive thought, I've never really cared. If a kid hates me more than Satan, but passes my class, I'm thrilled. The part that ticked me off yesterday, is that this kid, who professes to enjoy my class, tried to get a rise out of me. He didn't offer support, defense or even (have the guts to...) explanation. He just walks in and brings it up.

However, when I laughed and told him how little I cared, he looked disappointed...

Like I have mentioned earlier, emotion is a dangerous thing in education. And something best avoided and minimized. Isn't it funny that the occupation that involves the shaping of children needs to appear warm and yet for sake of health and safety must be in some ways the most cold. Most of us that teach love our jobs and our kids (God knows we don't love money...) but by definition we must separate ourselves from personal feelings, and agendas when we teach or we would spontaneously combust or even more likely get fired pretty quick.

Honestly, I don't "care" how students perceive me or feel about me as long as they learn something of value in my room. Considering how emotionally transparent I am as a person it is really a rather odd thing. ( In the real world, people always see right through me, in a classroom I am all smoke and mirrors) Yet at the same time that I don't "care" I still love them (as a group, not necessarily individuals).

Anyway, I guess I don't really have a point I just wanted to say that this kid made me nuts yesterday, but not for the reasons he thought or wanted to...

Oh, and as a teacher, my students have always either loved me or hated me. It's always been that way. I guess I'm just one of those kinds of people.

3 comments:

Dreaming again said...

I have a friend who is a Junior high reading teacher. While she is in her 50's, she's teaching for the first time.
Her students want to know who the alien in her classroom is :)

She keeps telling them if they want Mrs T back, they can complete the assignments and behave, otherwise, they get her as she is. Their choice.

methatiam said...

He may have been hoping you'd turn to him for advice. At that age, you know everything, and it's hard keeping all that wisdom you've accumulated over 15 years bottled up.

I suppose I can't say too much, I'm still learning the concept that I am the only one who puts a great deal of importance on my own opinion.

In the meantime, give yourself a special treat and make him do extra credit.

;0)

Anonymous said...

Haha I wish I could have been there when this happened Sandy! I would have laughed with you... though I am glad I was never one of your students :D
~your monday night phone date (who will remember next time, and call you first, of course)