Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What's your point?

(Sheepish Grin)

Having attacked people who walk up and state the blindingly obvious, I do have a small admission to make.

When I was in high school, there was a dear young man in my class who possessed a blue eye and a brown eye. One day as we were talking before class I found myself suddenly struck by this fact.

"You know, Jason, you have one blue eye and one green eye." I said to him.

"Really," he deadpanned, "I'd never noticed that. Next mirror I see I'll have to check on that. Thanks for letting me know." Then he smiled, rather oddly I might add, and walked away.

I found myself fighting an overwhelming urge to beat myself about the head and face with a rock.

Apparently the stupidly obvious and slightly obnoxious is unavoidable. We all have these moments. However, I have worked hard to train myself to keep it to myself since then. I would also never walk across a store, hall, mall or room just to make the statement to someone.

And if you are out there, Jason, I still cringe when I think about that. I'm sorry.

Oh, and did you ever find that mirror?

1 comment:

methatiam said...

I went to school with someone who worked the Rodeo every year (security, concessions, etc). One year he looked over and found himself standing next to James Caan. My classmate was a drama major and was so over-awed by the fact that this famous and well-respected actor was standing next to him, he panicked.

Looking down at Mr. Caan, who was dressed for the extreme heat of summer (t-Shirt, shorts, sandals), this poor college kid blurted out: “Your legs are skinnier than mine!”

Talk about a permanent cringe.