Saturday, June 03, 2006

Busy, Crazy, Drama, Relief...

I'm down from camp for the afternoon. I go back in a couple hours. Such is life for the next seven weeks. This year camp was supposed to get DSL. However, as of now we got nuttin! So, I'm not sure when I can post again. I'll do my best.

This staff week (the week of training before camp starts) went well, only one very minor injury (3 stitches) that didn't effect staff at all... Well except the kid with stitches, but he really isn't all that upset about it... No big. Lots of work to do, not all of it done yet and national inspection is Thursday, but we'll get there.

Trying to get the bedding arrangements worked out has been a real chore. Some of the "boys" (they are actually over 18) are trying to figure out a loophole that would allow them to stay up in my building, but thankfully, this week we stayed one step ahead of them. If we can elude them two more days, which we will, they can't get in.

The drama is also about rooming. Girls are the biggest pain in the neck at camp. Girls in the sense that they are under 21, several under 18, and all think they rule the place. Actually, that's not true. Only two think they rule the place. The one over 18 doesn't want to work, wants all the perks and none of the responsibilities and feels she has the right to dictate how the other girls in her cabin live, behave, work. The other girl, under 18 is a bit more of a follower, so she could be salvaged if the big mouth was gone. Worse is when we confront them, oh, the water works. Girls crying is very upsetting to boys 23 and under. Even when they know the girls are trying to be manipulative, it still tears them up. The leadership has stood strong so far this week, but it wears on them and you can tell.

Already we have had some real bright spots. These boys work so hard and show such joy in simple things. We went to see a drive in movie last night as the end of staff week reward, Over the Hedge and Mission Impossible. I went home after over the hedge. What a delight! So funny.

The kitchen staff has convinced the administration that they will not under any circumstances allow any activities in the dining hall other than meals (which is not true, but I'm proud of the way these kids keep straight faces when the program director asks them) and are secretly planning a big party for the staff later this summer.

The room for the Director on Duty has been decorated in all Superman sheets, blankets and posters in honor of our Super Hero radio call signs. I am Rouge, by the way. I can suck the life right out of you with just a touch... The camp director is Professor X. There is also Storm, The Thing, Kal-El, The Tick, Underdog, The Hulk, Gambit, Wolverine, Human Torch, Mr. Fantastic, Iceman, The Punnisher and Mighty Mouse.

As of right now 50 people were certified in CPR and First Aid according to the new American Heart Association standards that were released this year. I found great satisfaction in being able to tell people that is they fell asleep I would make them leave (and that being true!). Better yet was watching the kids police each other on that kind of issue. Warms a teachers heart and all that...

So, week one starts Sunday, with campers arriving on Sunday at 1:00 PM. We are supposed to get internet on Wednesday, otherwise I'll have to wait till next Saturday.

2 comments:

Dreaming again said...

So glad you made it through your first week! Girls are definitely a pain! I thought I wanted to be a mother of girls.... so very very grateful God gave me boys!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get internet before next weekend, if not, see you then. You remain in my prayers, for your safety as well as the kiddo's. I am also praying that you're able to touch their hearts with the light of God, whether they know that's what has touched them or not.

methatiam said...

I'd say have fun, but it sounds as though I'm too late!