Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ouch!

These boys amaze me. Every day I see injuries that would drop grown men to their knees, and these boys are so brave. Granted other times I see tears over a minor scrape or bug-bite, (I won't mention the child that screamed bloody murder in my clinic for three solid hours about a small bruise on his foot) but I try not to dwell on those moments.

Often these boys are so stalwart and strong. Last week a boy had a migraine so bad we had to take him to the hospital. He couldn't even walk. I called for several of the adults in camp to help me carry him out. Five 15 year old boys stepped forward and said, "He is a member of our troop, tell us how, and we will carry him." It was all I could do not to cry as they carried the boy nearly a quarter of a mile to the closest vehicle. Several of those boys are now on staff this week. We are proud to have them.

Yesterday a young man broke his clavicle. This can be a very painful injury. He comforted his mother on the phone as she was scared. He was released from the hospital this morning and is very disappointed that he cannot come back to camp and complete his merit badges.

Some boys break bones and yet they stay, as much as 20 stitches and they stay, smiling, participating proud to be scouts.

Last night a mother came to me in tears because her son had a serious case of HS (Home Sick) and she wanted to take him home. I was trying to talk her down when a 17 year old staff member (Gusty, I mentioned him before) stepped in, and explained to the mom how this was an important thing for her son to go through and that he was safe here. His words (identical to the ones I often use in these cases) reached the part of her heart that I could not. Then he walked her out to her car and got her on her way. Then he walked up to the campsite of the young man and talked him though a rough night. That little boy is smiling today because of Gusty's honor.

Sometimes as a teacher I get frustrated, depressed even from the excuses, name-calling and blame passing I see with students, parents and even administrations. Then I come here.

1 comment:

Dreaming again said...

It is encouraging to read this... next week I will be going to church camp.Not the same as scout camp, but not all that different.

I have not been to camp since I was a camper myself. I've been a bit nervous, but, reading these helps.

Thanks for the stories.