Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Happy Dance!

No one likes being the bad guy, but I have to say that trumping a class full of rude children felt good today. I got the combination in a flash of inspiration and today some real work got done.

For every second of time they wasted in my class today, third period, I made them pay me back in being late for lunch. Today we sat a whole minute in total silence (Which seems like a long time under those circumstances) before they left for lunch. This put them firmly at the end of the lunch lines. Further if they are late to lunch they don't get to use the pillows or couches during reading time after lunch.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. My gut says that the war isn't over, but for now I won a crucial battle. Tonight I will enjoy the success.

The fact that this is my gifted class, the best and brightest is probably what makes me craziest. These kids know better and further they are the kids who will be our leaders someday. What does it mean if they have no self discipline and no respect for authority. The other thing is they are really great kids, bright and funny and outgoing, but when they are rude, disrespectful and ignore directions all that potential disappears behind a shield of yuck!

It astounds me that no one has effectively taken them in hand. This is not testing limits in my opinion. No one has enforced order with these kids before. They seem genuinely puzzled and confused by my frustration with their behavior.

But tonight I am content.

No comments: