Monday, September 25, 2006

Overheard... As in heard overly much...

On Friday I was walking down the middle school portion of our building. Five girls were in a giggling gaggle behind me and I overheard one of them whisper to the other, very loudly I might add, "She's a GIANT!"

For whatever reason, I'd had enough so I spun around and answered, "No she's not, but she is a TEACHER!" Then I explained to the girls that their behavior was very rude and unbecoming of ladies. Then I left them in the hallway, speechless.

I actually feel a little guilty about the whole mess. They were rude, but I doubt they understand why I got mad at them or if they do, I doubt they care. Girls really are brutal and that's just all there is to it. There is no doubt in my mind they knew I could hear them.

2 comments:

Dreaming again said...

There is a book out called "Mean Girls"

Very appropriate for today's generation. Unfortuneately.

Personally, I'm glad you said something. Mean girls grow into mean young women, who grow into mean middle aged women who grow into mean older women ... it just doesn't stop.

Judgements are made all the time and we're just not taught anymore to look at things from another's perspective.

When I was a kid "walk a mile in his moccasins" was taught to us thouroughly.

Today, people feel the freedom to judge others and to make their judgments known. The wounding they may cause seems of no concern to anyone. Least of all ... to the youth of today.

methatiam said...

I have to disagree with dreaming again. When I was in school, it was just as bad as it is today. I counted for a time and discovered that as an AVERAGE I was derided five times each and every day.

This is exactly why I could not do what you do(teach). I don’t think there is a cure or any sort of training that can change them at this point.

You can’t fix stupid.