Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Ultimate Gift

In my family, literature and movies are serious issues. When I was younger I viewed anything that was not a masterpiece with disdain, aghast to be caught reading or watching, “garbage.” As I have gotten older, I have mellowed. Further I have redefined my perception of media.


There are movies and books that are excellent, but that I really don’t care for. There are movies and books that are excellent that I enjoy, though usually only once or twice. I own these books and movies and I recommend them to many and even loan them to a few. Then there are books and movies that I love and read or watch over and over again. They have many good qualities and I really enjoy them. They are like old friends and close confidants and sometimes even a warm hug of sorts. Then there are the books and movies I think of as “brain candy” or “guilty pleasures.” These are the books and movies that really are not very good literarily, plot or acting wise. Yet for whatever reason they touch a cord with my heart and I find myself focused on them, dreaming about them, even slightly obsessed for a period of time.


Having seen several meme’s of this type I want to share, briefly my categories and what they add… I’ll give my top five (ten of the old friends) of each…


Books

Excellent but Don’t Like

Scarlet Letter

Great Gatsby

Grapes of Wrath (turned off as much by people’s critiques as the work itself!)

A Separate Peace

Summer of My German Soldier


Excellent (!!)

Of Mice and Men

To Kill a Mockingbird

Hinds Feet to The High Places

Looking For Alaska

The Never Ending Story


The Good Stuff

Anything by Torey Hayden

Anything by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

DragonSpell

Harry Potter (any one will do)

Twilight and New Moon

Clan of the Cave Bear

Ender’s Game and Ender’s Shadow

Passion and Purity

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

The Secret Life of Bees


Guilty Pleasures

Historical Romance (Brain Candy and I am trying to cut back)

Warprize, Warsworn and Warlord

Stardancer, Starseed and Starmind

Valley of the Horses

Books based on movies (not the other way around)


Movies

Excellent but I don’t like

Saving Private Ryan

Titanic

Rocky

The Departed

Annie Hall


Excellent

Broken Down Palace

Forrest Gump

Apollo 13

Of Mice and Men (with Malcovich and Senise)

Dead Again


The Good Stuff

Sense and Sensibility

Murphy’s Romance

Serenity

Star Wars, Star Trek, you know, the geek stuff…

Tootsie

The Cutting Edge

Remember the Titans

The Sound of Music

Clueless

Love and War


Guilty Pleasures

The Love Comes Softly series

The X-Men Movies

The Santa Clause Movies (even and especially the 3rd one!)

Harry Potter Movies (Well acted and well written, but they only make sense if you read the books so how is that a good thing?)

Anything with Brendan Frasier, Drew Fuller, Billy Zane, Tom Welling, Bruce Boxlighter, or Sean Connery. Just because they are cute.

Oh, and The Ice Pirates.


The point of these lists is that I went to see a movie on Monday. I took Nana. We had a terrific time. We were the only ones in the theatre. This is a shame. The movie was called “The Ultimate Gift” based on the book of the same name (that I haven’t read, but am now going to.)


To be honest, the movie is not going to win any Academy Awards, but it was clean, sweet and fun. There was a message, a bit not subtle, and there were some odd holes, but it really was wonderful. I imagine it will become a guilty pleasure of sorts over time, but I’m OK with that. I highly recommend it.


Drew Fuller is adorable (the adult male kind), the little girl (she was in Little Miss Sunshine) is even cuter and they are so fun to watch interact. James Garner is always a joy as is Brian Denehey. Seriously folks, it may only be out for a little while (as evidenced by the empty theater) so go soon.

No comments: