Monday, March 03, 2008

Nanaisms...

OK, OK, I have been chastised and so I am posting. Life has been happening a bit faster than I can really stand up to lately.

The big news is that we have put down a deposit and Nana is going to a Personal Care Home on April 1st. She will be one of six ladies that live in the house. Frankly she is doing the best of the bunch physically and mentally from what I've seen. But she will get the support and supervision she needs there. I'll still be active and involved in her life (Most weekend she will come home with me to do nails, visit the dogs, go to church), but I will get the flexibility and the peace that comes with not being solely responsible for her all day, every day. Most of the time I am OK with this. It's a good place. Most of the time she is too...

This past winter when my Mom was here, she told Lindsey, "Thanks for all you do for Nana. And remember, Jesus said, whatever you do unto the least of these you do unto me..." Nana stood up and announced, "Come on, Lindsey, lets go live Jesus a shower!"

This past week I gave Nana a $10 so that she and Lindsey could go to Waffle House for lunch. Nana trilled, "Oh wow! We are rich! Come on Lindsey, let's go get drunk!"

Later that afternoon as I sat in the car on the phone (I hadn't been to work that day as Nana was too confused for me to leave her alone that morning) Nana came up and knocked on my window. She had been so clear when I left and hour previous. "Would you like to come inside and wait for Sandy there? She should be right home soon." I nearly burst into tears. Then Nana cracked the biggest smile and started to cackle! "Fooled you!" I nearly killed her!

The pie-de-resistance was on Sunday when she smiled at the woman who will be her new caretaker and said, "I'm going to miss my Sandy, she only beat me once in a while." We had to have a talk about how that joke was NOT FUNNY!

This is the right thing to do and I find comfort in the idea that this is a really good set up for Nana, but I also know this is going to kill me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha fooled you!

lolz!

that's defiantly funny after the fact. I hope my mom never does that to me 20-30 years from now.

Beth said...

Sandy, I'm glad that you have found a place where you are comfortable that Nana will receive the care she needs. I know it will be a huge adjustment but so glad that she will be close to you. I truly admire you for the way you are and have been caring for her.