Monday, February 06, 2006

Purple Planets!

Today as an assignment my students had to create their own planet. They had to explain it's physical details as well as the people on it, animals, plants, culture and civilization. They all rolled their eyes at me, sighed and began to write. Some of them are really getting into it now. I love watching them work. It's like their brains are on fire and the smoke is thought!

On my planet there is no tilt, so day and night are always the same equal length all year long. There are seasons, but they are very short and so you get to enjoy the sensations of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter for about a month and then the season moves on. This makes you appreciate each one more and enjoy it while it is there. Plus, if you miss it, it is only three months till you get it again. All plants have beautiful bright fragrant flowers that bloom an entire season (month) and there is a pretty varied time of growth (some even in the winter) so there are always flowers everywhere and the air is full of the perfume. No Britany Spears or Estee Lauder needed. The sentient beings are rich, royal purples, all shades. With bright green eyes that are luminescent. The sing and dance and no one wears clothes except in the winter.

I think my planet sound like it has potential. I think I need to visit it again soon. One of my students asked if she could go live on her planet. It is made of chocolate. I might visit hers on the way to mine.

Sometimes I worry about kids today and their ability to create. I still worry, but seeing all the planets today makes me excited about the worlds I might get to visit someday.

OK, my headache is still here, and throbbing, but either I feel better or the flashing lights and piercing whine has gotten to me. My principal said I can go at noon, when I finish my curricular obligations. I think that might be a good thing.

The sooner I can sleep this off, the sooner I can go back to that purple planet!

No comments: