Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Piled Higher and Deeper

The nightmares are starting. Having come to the realization that I am not going to be able to escape getting a PhD I am now examining programs and schools. My hope had been to start this fall. Nope, I missed the entrance deadlines by two weeks. Now I have to wait a year. No two schools have the same program or program requirements. Some people seem to want blood and DNA sample and the promise of a first born... to get in. Once you are in the requirements get scarier. One English program requires that I have reading ability in two other languages. One (and maybe they weren't serious, but...) required that you contact, chronicle and be able to converse in Martian! Dad already has his PhD, sister in law married into family with one, brother intends to get his, so this is inevitable, I know. Worse, everyone I come in contact with insists I need to do this. The world needs me, they say, and it needs me with this title. I'm thinking maybe I need to found my own university, student and staff population of one and give myself an honorary degree. Then I can go teach coconuts on a deserted island how to talk. They'll call me Dr. Nuts.

This post is a result of lack of sleep from the PhD nightmares. I'll be fine in a couple of days...

No comments: