Thursday, March 09, 2006

No Pain, No Gain

When I was in college my first two years I was in NROTC and on the drill team. I worked out anywhere from 8 to 12 times a week, two hours a pop and was still behind everyone else in terms of strength and stamina. Then I did it because I needed the scholarship, enjoyed the camaraderie and also I was young and it was fun.

Now I am not so young, there is no gorgeous marine in front of me who I keep up with so I can enjoy that back view and a mean one behind me telling me to move my lazy butt. Mostly, I didn't miss that motivational marine behind me, so what have I done with my life(?), hired a person at my gym to fill the void. Three times a week for two hours I subject myself to what ever Greg tells me to do. Squats, push ups, treadmill, stair masters, presses, curls, lunges, anything you say, Greg. And I am paying this man my hard earned money to do this to me! I come home and fall asleep in my dinner that is barely warm because I was too starved to wait until I got it heated through!

Each time Greg askes me as we finish up how I feel. Yesterday I told him he'd know how I felt by how many pins he felt stick him when I got my hands on the voodoo doll I have at home with his face on it. He just laughed. I guess he's used to that. The other day he asked me to do something and I swore under my breath. He asked if that meant I wasn't going to do it. I answered, "Of course I'm going to do this, I'm paying you to make me do this. I just hate you for it." He laughed (he really is a great guy, supper nice and encouraging) and said, "I get that a lot."

I often feel that teaching is the most thankless job on earth. As teachers we have to find our own inner justification and peace with what we do or we would go nuts. However, I imagine now that being a trainer is worse. But I also figure he says a healthy body takes work and is not won by laziness. I also guess that holds true of his profession. If it was easy and everyone could stand being threatened with death and dismemberment for doing exactly what that person is paying you to do, everyone would be a trainer and everyone would be thin and healthy.

No Pain, No Gain.

1 comment:

methatiam said...

I get there five times each week. I did the trainer thing for a year, and decided that I really didn’t want it. I know exactly how my body is feeling at any given moment, and the couple of times I acted in the trainer role, I could never be sure if they were sore (good) or pushing too hard (bad).
Have you ever seen the email called A Man's Workout Diary? It’s a little long to post here, but I think you’d really enjoy the sentiment.