Friday, March 10, 2006

Who came first, Sandy or Lee?

Have you ever noticed that people who are married are "older" than people who are not? My brother is three years younger than I am but now that he is married, he feels he is the older, wiser, sibling. This is terribly funny to me.

Lee was born one week before my 3rd birthday. For many years I was very frustrated because while I knew I was oler he had his birthday first. So I made my parents switch us to correct God's mistake. Then when I turned 8 I wanted to know why we didn't celebrate my birthday on the right day. My poor folks, they couldn't win.

Now, Lee is a married minister and I am an "old spinster school marm" as people occasionally joke when they think I can't hear them. He calls to check up on me. I remind him I am older. He just laughs and says very patronizinly "of course you are."

This is not in my head.

Oh well, I always wanted an older brother anyway, Lee will have to do.

1 comment:

Neurotic Illini Fan said...

Well, at least you have a brother who cares. I have a younger brother who'd just as soon have me fall off the face of the earth. People have always told me that all the sibling hatred from childhood would go away once we were grown up. It hasn't. Or maybe one, or both, of us hasn't grown up yet in spite of getting older.