Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Where for art thou?

Today was the Romeo and Juliet performance for the 9th grade English classes. My kids rock. Let me just say that from the first. I nearly popped every bottom on my shirt, pants and everything else I was so proud. Let me share the moments we've had so far though. (Many of these were at rehearsals, only one at the performance. Guess, which...)

1. "And lips, you doors to breast...."

2. As they attempted to drag Juliet's limp body off, they all got a case of the giggles and dropped her. Further they dropped her in such a way that they started to pull her skirt off. She rose quickly from the dead, yanked up skirt, righted herself and raced backstage.

3. Juliet, pleading with her father on her knees, is jerked up by her father suddenly as he accidentally is standing on her hem.... (thank god for the shorts!)

4. The balcony was set up wrong, so that when Juliet launches herself into Romeo's arms, the front fell down with them.

5. Juliet couldn't find Romeo's dagger, so she went looking through his pockets as he lay dead.

6. Benvolio attempted to sit on a block/set piece, missed and fell head over tea kettle.

God has given me such joy with these children. They are only ninth graders and the envy of the drama classes. The "real" regular drama teacher won't let the advanced kids do Shakespeare. He says they are not ready. They are so jealous of my angels, who won't win any oscars, but are giving it their all and having a marvelous time. I think the other teacher is being so stingy with this gift of drama. No one is ever "ready" to do Shakespeare. So we do it anyway.

Oh, even with out tomorrow nights performance I could ride on this for weeks!

Hi to high fortune!

No comments: