Tuesday, March 21, 2006

You cannot be serious...

The assignment has been out there, posted and discussed for more than three weeks. It was due last Friday, I extended deadline until today, just to be nice.

Sweet, cherubic faced child walks up to me, big grin on his face and says, "My Special Education
Modifications say that I get more time, and seeing as everyone got extra time, I get extra time past what they get and I'll turn it in on Friday. Thanks."

"Well, have you been working on it the whole time such that you need the extra time?" I asked.

He smiled until his dimples showed and said, "Oh, no. I'll probably do it the night before it's due."

I can honestly say I nearly became a liability to my county because so help me I came this close to killing the kid. What's worse, when I called his mom, she said, "He'll have it on Friday and his IEP says he gets the extra time. We'll talk to him about procrastinating, tomorrow."

Thanks.

1 comment:

Neurotic Illini Fan said...

Okay, deep breath in. . .
Deep breath out. . .
And just keep telling yourself,
"Just a few more days. Just a few more days."

I feel for you. I greatly admire anyone in the teaching profession (both my parents were teachers, and seeing what they went through was enough to put me on the fast track to any career other than teaching).

Then again, I also feel for the kid. Obviously, he is not getting the guidance he needs at home. Hate to think what a shock it will be when we gets to the real world, and his boss doesn't go for the excuses for needing extra time.