Monday, May 01, 2006

Gender Confusion

So the new guy says, "I'll call you before I leave for vacation or while I'm enroute." (He was going away for the weekend) Then he never calls or e-mails or texts. Should I be offended? My brother, the minister, seems to think it is a female thing to take those kind of statements literally. He says if a guy says that it is actually a much bigger time frame and I will probably hear from this new, possible guy in a few days. I think if my father says he is going to call someone and specifies a time frame he meets the commitment. My brother says that is still a feminine trait and that Dad is not typical. What ever happened to being as solid as your word? Now, if I'd volunteered my number (which I would never do!) and he had said generally, "Yeah, I'll call ya'" then I wouldn't be flustered or confused right now. But he gave his number, I took it, but then gave mine and said, "I'm old fashioned, I prefer the gentleman to call the lady, at least at first." He responded with a commitment to call and specified a time. So why wouldn't he meet it? Yes, I am 30, yes I spend more of my time with males than females, but I still don't get this. Anyone want to let me in on the secret?

1 comment:

methatiam said...

All I can say is that you teach ninth grade – it’s no different really. There are some guys who will always and ever be a part of the “I dunno” crowd: “Why didn’t you finish your homework?” - “I dunno”, Why did you hit him with an orange?” - “I dunno”, “Why didn’t you call” - “I dunno”.

Sometimes these guys (like your students) are worth the effort.

Tell your brother I said so!