Friday, May 26, 2006

The last of the school laments for this school year

Grades are finished. Every point counted, cataloged, organized and recorded. 75 lives, 85 if you count my team taught special education served children (and I do) all summed up with numbers and percentages. It's rather sad in a way.

My first and third periods did wonderfully well, as I imagined and hoped they would. My second period, my bane this semester, was another story. This class was my heartbreak this year. So much talent, ability and creativity. So much wasted.

Some I was able to "save" or reach or whatever you call it. Some at least did well enough that they can go to intersession... They do 30 hours of course work this summer and we bring their grade to passing. Kids that fail at that range most often do for lack of effort/work/discipline, so the tactic is useful and effective. Additionally kids who know the skills, but fail usually do worse the next time because they become even more bored and continue to fail.

The part that killed me today was one (okay there are a couple others, I'll get to them) young lady. Beautiful, talented, capable. She blew off work for the last six weeks. Even racing to catch up it was almost too little too late. Her standardized end of course test score however was so high she passed with a 72%. Didn't even have to do intersession. I spoke to her about my disappointment with her choices and my hopes for her. She was very apologetic, hugged me hard and was on her way for the summer. She didn't understand. She felt badly because I was upset with her, she doesn't see why I am upset. I fear the day she understands what she costs herself.

Another young man has had the year from hell. He was only just placed with foster parents this past month. Up until then, we had managed to keep him passing. This month however he realized that he would not pass enough of his classes to go on to 10th grade. So he gave up. Law requires that he come to school as a foster kid, but he stopped working. He was even up front about it. He plans to drop out at 16 and get GED (only four months away). He should have passed my class, but simply stopped.

Another boy spent the past year working hard to get himself out of special education. Now that he is, he stopped trying at all. So now, with no SpEd nets, (and he can't go back) he will/has failed 9th grade. Why?

These kids just absolutely wound me at moments like these. By this time next week, I'll be so busy at camp I'll not remember to remember and be bothered about it. But when school starts and I see some of the same faces again it will come back.

That question.

Was there something else I could have done to get through to them?

and

Please, God, isn't there someone who can?

1 comment:

Dreaming again said...

I hope someone gets through to that girl. I was her ...and no one got through to me. I woke up at 30 ... sick ...and with 2 sick kids ...and realized that I could have done whatever I'd wanted to ..if I'd just tried ...a little.

I was one of those smart kids who did just enough to look like I was doing what I needed to do. Great grades ... but nothing compared to what I could have done ...and I didn't go to college inspite of my full scholarship. Why? cause my dad told me I had to.

My oldest is just like me. If the rest of the class got a 75%, and he got a 76%, he was satisfied. When I realized he was another me ... I swore I wasn't going to let him repeat my mistakes. Thankfully, we found the lightswitch. He's been motivated.

I pray someone finds that switch for this girl before she wakes up at 30 and looks back and cries