Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Homesick

Here at camp we have a really problematic disease. It's called HS. Or, Home Sick! As one of the reining homesick experts I've learned several things.

1) Never ask a child if they will die if they can't go home right now.
2) A child left alone will find a way to call home no matter how difficult you think it is.
3) Dinner time is the worst time of the day for a homesick kid.
4) Chocolate and a hug can cure a lot.
5) But not everything.
6) There is a reason they call Benidryll "Mommy's Little Helper..."

My protocol says I can treat watery eyes and a runny nose with an antihistamine. It is amazing how well it works.

1 comment:

Dreaming again said...

Just got back from church youth camp. They asked me to play the medic. 205 kids. WOW what a job!!!

Incredible time ... kids accepted Christ, and rededicated their lives ...some realized their call into ministry, some realized their call into ministry was real.

It was a heavy week, we dealt with catching kids smoking, suicidal ideation, cutting, eating disorders, a kid who had been a victim of attempted murder just a month before ...

I wasn't quite prepared for the seriousness of the problems. I am not sure how youth workers do this full time!!

Or teachers for that matter!!

I am glad I went, and glad to be home.