Thursday, September 28, 2006

Being a case example

Poor Daddy. I called him up to vent today. It was a good day, but there was this one niggling issue at the base of my brain and I needed to talk to someone who understood. For the most part, on this issue, only Dad fits the bill.

See, my mom makes me crazy. I think I've mentioned that before, but maybe not. For the most part I don't talk lots about her and my issues with her because my biggest goal with Mom is to simply love her, not let her issues be my issues or let them get to me and to do that I feel like I need to just let stuff go. Blogging is dealing with, but not always letting it go, so I haven't, mostly. Though I know I can.

The details on this particular escapade I'll leave out. They are irrelevant anyway. The point was, it happened again. Even on a great day. Lots of pie, some good flirtation, good lesson in class, and I'm ticked at mom.

So I called Dad. Poor Daddy... But he listened, he understood and he let me vent. Then he laughed with me (not at me, big difference) at the absurdity and we talked about other stuff and then we came back to the point. This is what he said.

Say there is a movie theatre, and the movies there are great, the ones you really enjoy, but the air conditioner is on overdrive and it's freezing. You have three choices, stop going to the movie, go and freeze, which effects the enjoyment or accept the temperature, start taking a jacket and enjoy the movie.

The funny part is that Dad is teaching divorce recovery workshop tonight and the lesson is about relationships with ex-spouses. Dad and I were laughing because this is case in point. My parents aren't married anymore, they don't even talk (his choice and I am thankful for it) and yet because of their children they still have a relationship.

Thanks, Dad. Glad I could be your example this week. Glad you are my friend and my father every week.

No comments: