Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What I’ve learned so far…

When I was a kid there was an informal list of things I wanted to do with my life. It was never something I wrote down, like some people, it was just something I kind of knew… Now, having crossed officially over into my 30’s (31 today… this past year I was only on the cusp, where as now I have fallen in) I find myself evaluating that list, making a new one and also, well, laughing about what I’ve learned so far.

When I was in high school, planning my life (as we do when we are in high school) I figured I’d have the lead in a play, go to the prom, get an undergraduate degree, publish a novel, be a nurse in the navy, have visited many places I had never been before, go on a missions trip, meet “the one,” get married, have kids, pursue an advanced degree, have a dog, own a house, and be deliriously happy.

The reality is I never had the lead role in a play in high school, though I had a couple leads in bigger skits in college, and I have written and directed quite a few plays in the past ten years. I did not go to the prom… while I occasionally think about it I’m not sure it really matters. I have still not published a novel. But I am still working on it. Not only did I get the undergraduate, but I got the masters too and am now looking at the PhD. I’ve been on a missions trip, though I had hoped to do more. Recently I have begun to travel, The UK, Central America, New York, but I still want to get to Greece, Japan and back for more time in England. I’ve had two dogs. One worked out, and one didn’t, and I also help raise Nana’s dog. I don’t own a house, but I’ve owned every one of my vehicles outright, which is nice. The house thing isn’t right for me yet. Obviously I am not a nurse in the Navy. But I think this is a better fit in the end anyway and I did become a medic…

Meeting “the one” and getting married and having kids seems like an odd thing for me now. I mean, it still sounds nice and all, and being alone is not the most fun thing, but it is not as important as I thought it might be. It might still happen, or it might not. I’m okay with that.

Rescuing Nana is not something that was on my list. Yet I think of it as one of the most important events of my adult life. Working at a scout camp wasn’t on the list either and it has become one of the most defining issues of my life.

Deliriously happy is fiction. Doesn’t exist, but joy and contentment do. I think I have those… Most of the time… when I let myself.

Here is my new list.

1. Finish PhD
2. Publish Novel
3. Write Screenplay and submit it to someone… Insist on being involved in production if it is purchased.
4. Make sure Nana is always taken care of
5. Visit Greece, Japan and get back to London (a lot!)
6. Go on a Cruise to Alaska with Linda
7. Surprise my Dad
8. Present at NCTE and/or ALAN
9. Retire wisely, financially stable and with the ability to live as I see fit
10. Teach an entire year where I make the rules!


I’ll see where I am at 41!

No comments: