Wednesday, February 14, 2007

V-D

When I was in high school I thought that was a really funny thing to call Valentines Day. If you are under 25 you may not understand that particular whimsy on my part, and I am not willing to enlighten you, but I’m sure the rest of you understand that case of juvenile giggles.


Personally, I think that this is a holiday invented by Hallmark to cause single people to become suicidal. Because there just wasn’t enough of that in the world already. However, I have chosen to focus on Valentine’s Day as a day about love, the overall term, and not romantic love.


I was struck yesterday by how much love is in my life when I broaden that definition. I was told I was loved by four people yesterday, and they were all serious and specific in that sentiment. The number would increase to five if I included the non-verbal behaviors of my dog. Further I told four (five with dog) people that I loved them yesterday. Seems to me my life is full of love.

The first person who said they loved me was my mom. She had surgery yesterday to have her knee replaced. This is not a minor or un-painful surgery. My relationship with my mother is fraught with issues that are sometimes just as painful, but she called me to say, that she loved me. That mattered. I love her too. That matters just as much.


The second was a dear, sweet, young lady who is a joy to know and a delight to watch. She has a valentine this year and bubbles over with the joy of that, even though she can’t be with him today. She told me she loved me, just like she always does and she means it every time, it is not a throw away thing for her to say. I love her too, and I imagine I would love her even if she didn’t tell me that she loves me, but the fact that she does means the world to me.


The third was another good friend, a terrific guy, who I probably know better than most people. He is just starting out on a new adventure with a new lady and I think there is some real potential there, though there are still things to iron out. I told him that he was a good person and he deserves to be happy. I’m not sure he has had that pointed out to him in some time if at all, which is sad, because it’s true. We often tell each other that we love each other, and that is not a light thing, for all that it is not romantic.


The last person that told me they loved me was Nana. She had heard all three of my other conversations and as I hung up on the last one she said, “Wow, you really are spreading that all over the place!” So I just laughed at her, kissed her forehead and told her, “I love you, too.” She answered, “OK, as long as I get some too you can spread it around as much as you want.” Then she kissed me goodnight and said she loved me. Then she went to bed.


I snuggled on the couch with my precious Roo (who will be 6 on the 18th), her head on my shoulder, and drank in her soft warmth.


It is Valentine’s Day, and I may be single, but today I am loved. More important there are many that I love. I only got to speak to four yesterday, but there are many and I am hopeful that even if I have not said it to them in the last 48 hours that they know. That is why I try to be sure I tell them when we talk. That I might bless them as they have blessed me.


Happy Valentine’s Day. I love you!

No comments: