Sunday, July 15, 2007

Quickie: Finger Carving Merit Badge

It is always my prerogative and honor to give out the Finger Carving Merit Badge at Friday Night Campfire each week. I look at all the injuries over the week and I look to see if any (and there can be more than one) were particularly bad, funny or unique. Sometimes it is not a finger and there is no knife, so I come up with a different name.

One child got, "It's just a flesh wound" because we could not get this rather shallow head laceration to quit spurting blood like a fountain. Seriously (and no it wasn't arterial, he just had high blood pressure or something.)

One child got, "The Stoic Award!" That kid was funny. He came in because his arm kinda hurt, but on a scale of 1 to 10 it was only a 1. Eventually I got him to go up to 2. We took him in anyway. It was broken in three places. What happened in this kid's life that this was only a 2?

This week's camper finger carving merit badge went to a kid who did not get stitches. That's because there was nothing to sew anything to. Just a big long slice down his pointer finger. It took forever to get that thing to stop!

There were two staff Finger Carvers, however. One was (and I am not making this up!) sitting on the toilet, he got bored and decided to carve on his walking stick and sliced open his finger. He waited until he finished, cleaned up and then got his pants up before he called me. I was flattered for the courtesy.

The other one is for the third (!) handi-craft staff member who has attempted to take a finger off. What is with these people! They are the ones who teach wood-carving. One was the director and the other was his assistant.

I really aught to become a PA so I can stitch them up myself. I could charge and I think I could turn a profit!

Last week of camp. Anything could happen!