Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pardon The Digression

If you did not watch Grey's Anatomy tonight this won't make as much sense, but I'm having a moment and I had to put it some place. Bailey was complaining to Shepherd about being the great girl, with the terrific personality that the great guy who was her best friend over looked and took for granted. Probably because she was short, chubby and not as classically beautiful as others. She runs into that guy from high school now and he still treats her the same.

I know that feeling. I remember listening on the phone for hours to countless great guys talk to me about their lives and feelings and girls, helping them with their homework, projects, etc. They never saw me either. Yet I was always so grateful for the crumbs of them I got, desperately hoping that one day they would wake up one day and suddenly somehow, for some reason, see me. They never did. Not to mention that if they had I would have been so scared witless it would have caused my brain to explode (but that's another post and another neurosis...)

Now I do all kinds of things for young men all the time. Thankfully it's a teacher/big sister thing with no romantic delusions on my part. And for all that I love these guys, and have so much faith and hope for their future, I find that there are so many who are still willing to take and take for granted.

Maybe I haven't really learned anything.

Like the show said about how we are all still in high school, acting out the same stories and waiting for the same things that will never happen. Some days it feels that way.

Pardon the Digression.

No comments: