Monday, December 03, 2007

Today

First and Foremost, today my dear brother is 29, for the first time. It is so funny to think of him as grown, highly educated, married and a minister when I also remember that bright eyed cheerful little boy in the blue sear sucker Easter suit.

Also today I was squeezing one of those stress balls, the kind that are covered with mesh so that when you squeeze it the ball gooshes out of the spaces like little blisters. Often the balls change colors on the boils. Anyway I had one that was pick with orange boils. It ruptured and my hand was covered with the gak that apparently fills these balls. The only person more surprised than me, was of course my students.

Then this poor kid fell asleep in third period. Kid was out cold. Bell rang for lunch and he didn't move. The class cleared out and this kid was still sleeping. I considered leaving him there, but that seemed mean, as he probably needed to eat. So when everyone was gone, I got down and said, rather loudly, "Long Weekend?" Kid jumped up spluttering, "I'm OK. Gotta go now. Um, bye!" Later he told me his baby sister was sick last night. I believe him.

That and we are studying Romeo and Juliet, Act 2 today. The famous balcony scene. In small chunks most of it is terribly romantic. All together the whole diatribe is the most sickly sweet and disgusting display of ridiculous and juvenile behavior. It is so funny to read. The class and I spent most of the period in stitches.

Today, was a good day.

No comments: