Sunday, June 15, 2008

At least one of the three

For years I have said that our good luck and low injury rate at camp are due to three things (equal parts) 1) Strong Central Leadership, 2) Consistent Quality of Care/Training from MedLodge and 3) Sheer Dumb Luck.

At least one of those three seems to have run out.

Last week a kid tried to get out of a row boat. He did not take out his oar lock first. It ripped open his calf, down to the bone. The staff was very worried about body substance contamination. I told them bleaching the lake was not an option. There were actual "bits" of this kid left on the boat. I am not just talking blood (though God knows there was plenty of that.)

Another kid, a staffer actually, put a hatchet in his shin. Then he refused to follow medical advice about staying off the leg.

Then there was this rash, which I cannot discuss right now as some staff read this, but sufficed to say I itch just thinking about it.

Another kid was hearing voices. Let's leave that there.

I had kids trying to take off fingers, breaking wrists and nosy scout leaders who should be shot.

One kid was caught with dubious pink powder and a snorting straw. That was a nightmare involving the police in two different locations and three counties!

Add in that someone is not turning out to be the leader I expected them to be (not to mention that they dismissed me from a meeting in someone else's office... the nerve!) and you have an interesting summer... Still five weeks to go.

But the light moments are here too. The laughter, the jokes, the talks. Dad came to visit.

I'm making a picture wall in my clinic. I call it "The Wall of Pain."

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow, Sandy! Sounds like a little too much "blood" for me...and more than enough excitement for you! :) Hope no one else gets seriously injured.