Friday, May 19, 2006

Frustration Station

50% of my second period class is failing. This is not good. They are failing because they did not do their homework. It is not my fault. I warned them, I tried to help them, they did not fix the problem. This is not my fault.

But as their teacher, it makes me look bad. There is no way around that. Most of my heart wants them to fail so that they learn the consequences of bad choices. My head tells me, however, that I need to find a way for more of them to pass.

I went to see my administrator about it (he is the best I have ever worked for and a personal favorite/friend). I told him my dilemma. He said I needed to do what I needed to do. I pointed out that if the child was passing the end of course test, while I did not want to reward bad behavior, they would be better served to be moved onto the next level as the test indicated mastery of the class skills regardless of homework. I asked him if I should do that.

He told me it was my class and I needed to do what I thought needed to be done. (He wasn't being manipulative at all, he was telling me to be the teacher and make the decisions.)

So I said, "Do you trust me to make the right decision?"

He laughed and said, "If I didn't I'd call Nana and tell her to set you straight. If I was really worried I'd call your Daddy."

It was what I needed to hear. This is my job and I can do it.

If you have no money and I give you a million dollars in cash, but you choose to walk away from it, then it is your choice to be broke. These students are choosing to fail. A few of them may get bumped up slightly if they were really close and got a passing score on the end of course test, mandated by the state, but the rest, I will let fail.

And regardless of my speech, and emotional detachment, it will keep me up for a few nights.

As soon as class is over I am driving down home to visit my adopted family and my Dad. I'm looking forward to it, but I'll be calling parents on the drive and I am not looking forward to that.

Eight Days until I am at camp.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Okay, I've called five parents. Four answered and of those four, all said their child's weekend just got very dismal. Maybe this'll be okay.

Oh please, let this get better!

methatiam said...

… sounds like you have good parental support too.
I’m sorry that this would reflect badly on you, but it’s really what’s best for them.

... 'course, what do I know?

Dreaming again said...

I keep thinking about your students as I watch my son choose to study for finals.

This time last year ...he wasn't enjoying his weekend as I was lowering the boom. He's enjoying studying a lot more by his own choosing!