Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Funny Flash or Flash of Funny...

Second day of class for students today. One of my students is already suspended. Oh My. Anyway, as I was watching my students take their first test (yes I give one on the second day, yes I am evil, yes I was told...) (Ok, OK, it ws just a pretest and they knew that...) I was thinking about camp and realized I had forgotten to share a story that happened week two. This one is a plum.

A scoutmaster had severe diabetes (no that is not the funny part) was suffering from low blood sugar. It happens a lot at camp especially if people are not on pump. With all the physical activity, heat, etc, it is easy for chemistry to be out of wack. Another scout leader came to get me and to get (of all things) cookies to give him. We ran to where he was, me frantically calling on the radio for someone in Medlodge to bring me my supply of fruit juice (the best alternative for low blood sugar, if the patient is aware enough to drink.)

Shooting sports heard me (remember my dear friend Drew?). "Can we help?"

"You don't have any juice."

"Can we help you?"

"You don't have any juice at shooting sports!"

Then as the juice arrived Drew comes flying up in his car.

"How can I help?"

"I got juice. Thanks, don't need any more help."

"Fine!"

Poor boy. He was very frustrated and just trying to help. He thought when I said that he had no juice that I was saying his radio wasn't working because the batteries were dead. The scoutmaster was fine in a matter of minutes once I got the juice in him.

OK, maybe it's not the funniest story, but it was the thought that kept me amused this afternoon.

No comments: