Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Angry

Perspective is a funny thing. It makes me feel old. I remember when everything was a burning issue that had to be taken care of right this minute and my feelings were paramount. I remember it like it was yesterday, that time, I mean, because it was, yesterday...

Not really, but I do remember. This week (and it's only Tuesday) has thrown a lot of things at us here at camp. More specifically poor planning on a few individuals' part has created some real bottle neck issues and as usual the staff ends up taking one for the team. We have to eat our meals on fly outside, and the kitchen keeps trying to come up with a better solution to the problem. Some people find the constant change as frustrating as the situation itself.

Frustration and Anger is when yelling happens. Lots of nasty things get said. People gather around to watch.

Then there is the cool down.

The thing is, nothing is really accomplished in the yelling and for the most part if people care about each other (those that are yelling at each other I mean) they don't really feel better after saying awful things to each other, they even, often, feel worse. Then there is the whole "who apologizes to whom" thing and all that jazz.

These young men are learning about real life, the real world and being leaders in a place that is not exactly real, normal or logical. Many of them want to be able to have control and they yell when they get frustrated because they think that shows their leadership and take charge-dness and all those other things that ambitious young men hope to be.

Me, as the older, wiser (I told you this is not a normal place, because no other place am I any kind of site of wisdom) "big sister" type, just sits and waits.

The funny part is I am a screamer so to speak, and I came from a family of screamers and in my classroom I can get quite noisy, but the older I get the more I know that the yelling accomplishes little and most often makes it worse (for yourself as much as the guilty party).

This morning my prayer is that Angry gets quieter.

No comments: