Friday, June 22, 2007

Benedict

It is always a hard thing to do something you know your friend wouldn't like, but ultimately is probably what is best for them. There is no satisfaction in the probability of correctness. There is even less comfort.

As a teacher I see this kind of problem all the time. Kid A tells Kid B in confidence about a very real problem at home or something terrible that happened, swears Kid B to secrecy and expects B to bear that burden with them. When B makes the right choice and tells an adult, even though the terrible problem is now removed and/or improved, A never forgives B for it.

Lately it seems like I've had to deal with several of those conundrums. Should I share, who should I share it with and what should I share of things I learned in confidence? Even though I believe it will help, even though I think it's probably the right thing to do, even though something had to be done, does that mean I should be the one to do it and is this the right way.

I imagine one of my biggest fears in life is doing the wrong thing and hurting someone. My second biggest may be of being hurt myself. That's a lot of fear to be playing with.

It also comes to an issue of trust. Who do I trust, who trusts me and can I trust another person on someone else's behalf? Is that even fair?

Kid B trusts the adult they tell with Kid A's secret. Hopefully they picked the right adult to put their trust in.

I hope I did the right thing.

No comments: