Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Boys of Summer 2007

There is a button, that some people in Scout wear, that says, "I'm here for the boys." I don't wear this button for all that it is rather my truth because, well, people would misunderstand.

But I am here for the boys. Let me tell you about some of them. (Some are ones you have heard about before, and some are new.)

Batch. Batch is 22 and studying to be a geologist. Very bright boy. Also one of the singularly most emotionally aware young men I have met in some time. He sees people, though granted he has to be paying attention, and he knows them. He is not afraid of his feelings or any one else's. He might have been one of my saving graces this summer.

Dr. Nichols. Not really a doctor, he's only 17, but we call him that. Such an earnest young man and a very hard worker. There is something in his speech and demeanor that reminds me of the dentist elf on Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer, but in a good way. He's just a big teddy bear sort too.

Ethan. Also a big bear. Big soft deep voice. He made me a canoe on the first week of camp. Just a little one, mind you, but it was very sweet. He has soft eyes and a kind smile and he actually wrestled the Chaplin to the ground when I jokingly suggested it. Then I had to apologize to the Chaplin (a good friend of mine... so it was OK!)

Sunshine. Now here is a young man worth watching. Starting his senior year in HS, already accepted to the Citadel, but hoping to go to the Coast Guard Academy, Sunshine is probably one of the camp's best imports. He's from Florida. Maybe the soft spot I have from him is the military background (he's a brat like me) or the clean cut, respectful way he conducts himself all the time. The way he demures about his girlfriend is pretty sweet... And when several annoying staff offered to take him to a strip club for his 18th birthday he said "no!" Last year Sunshine got very sick and spent several days up here in Medlodge with me. Poor boy was quite ill. But always polite and said please every time. Also a terrific teacher.

Danny. I've known Danny since his first year at camp as a CIT (counselor in training) and am so proud to now watch him direct his own department. He was grown at 15, but he's even more a real example of maturity now at 18. I "let" him take me "out" one night, on my night off. One of the nicer dates I think I've had in some time. Makes me wish I was 18... and shorter. Danny starts college this year and I wish him all the best. There is a very special girl out there for him somewhere and I can't wait to meet her too. Oh! He plays the banjo and speaks French!

Drew is becoming a really good friend. The shooting sports director this year, he has done great things on staff. My brother calls him the bad boy with the heart of gold. Nana is in love with him. I joke that I am not his type because I have morals. Yet he is the first to come to my rescue often times and a very fierce protector at that. He has a huge albino python called princess and I am desperately trying to catch the mouse in Med Lodge so he can feed it to her. Also, I fixed him up with Rosie, my hairdresser and friend. Fingers Crossed!

Matt. Here is a very sweet young man. Only 15 and new to camp. Such a hard worker though. If he hugs me one more time with a wet rain jacket I may kill him. But still very sweet. His mom is a professor and only slightly older than I am. He asked me the first day of camp (and remember he is only 15) which branch of medicine he should go into, in my opinion. Very seriously, I might add.

Poje. He's 18 this year. Still every inch the spunky, smart-mouth little brother, but I am starting to get glimpses of the man I think he really will be. He completed his Eagle this summer and I am very proud of him. He starts college this year too. Valdosta may never be the same.

Mike and Jason. The Eagle brothers. One runs camp, the other runs the kitchen. Both are forces to be reckoned with when they are mad. It's the Irish temper thing. Mike has really become one of my best friends over the past year. I have enormous respect for both of these young men. Sometimes I even am nice to them... Mostly I just sass them because I can.

This list is by no means exhaustive and there are so many more, but these are the ones that came to mind.

They are my boys.

1 comment:

Dreaming again said...

Your boys sound great.

I hope you are enjoying camp.

How much longer do you have?

My kids actually go back to school on August 9th!!!

I cannot believe our summer is almost over!

By the way .. Don is home from the hospital.