Friday, October 26, 2007

Death by Acronym!

This wilderness EMT thing is awesome. Seriously. Awesome. I am having a blast.

Just one thing.

Acronyms.

There is an Acronym for everything in the medical world.

TBI = Traumatic Brain Injury

ICP = Inter Cranial Pressure

MOI = Mechanism of Injury

FOOSH = Fall Onto Out Stretched Hands

There is also FOAM, BEAM, STOPEATS, and quite a few more. They are starting to make me a bit crazy IYKWIM... If you know what I mean!

Anyway.

I'm learning lots. The people here are from such diverse backgrounds, though I am from the farthest away. Most of these are at least Northerners, all are Westerners. They are very welcoming, and not condescending or belittling at all. I knew that was unlikely, but still, who knew for sure...

Today I got to be a severe trauma patient for a massive rescue simulation. I Dislocated my shoulder and tore my hand up in a huge Helicopter Crash. I was suffering additionally from severe ASR (Acute Stress Reaction) until they "reduced" my injury in field. Sufficed to say, when I am supposed to have AMS (Altered Mental Status) from stress I can be pretty DIC (Disoriented, Irritated and Combative.) The poor EMT assigned to me was really pressed to be sure.

Well.

TTFN!

No comments: