Monday, June 23, 2008

Last weeks tally

So last week I had...

A kid who threw a knife at a tree. It bounced back and cut him. Go figure.

A kid who got a hole in his head because he got hit by a rock...

They each got two staples a piece.

One poor kid cut his hand on the brand new knife he bought after finishing his toting chip that morning. When he came in his toting chip instructor was up in Medlodge with me... He burst into tears. It wasn't a bad cut, but he learned his lesson. He didn't need a knife in the class he cut himself in, by the way.

Oh! Did I mention on Saturday morning that I woke up to find a camper (18) standing in the middle of my room staring at me? Yeah. He wanted Tylenol. He's lucky he didn't get murdered. There was enough fodder in that moment of waking to fuel nightmares for a week!

The individual I have resigned myself to disliking continues to ask my advice, much to God's amusement I am sure. If I have a well that is continuous, and I have all I want can I turn away someone who is thirsty. Apparently not. But I don't have to like him!

For five years I have done this gig on my own. Two weeks with a real partner and I am terrified about being on my own again for the week. Bet I make it, OK, though. Some of the kids might not...

It's Monday morning and the puking has already begun.

It is worth noting... This summer I am more raw that I have been. Theoretically the protective shield I have hidden behind for so long is falling. That is a good thing, but the skin underneath is so new and delicate. I bleeds. I am trying to navigate all the emotions and it's hard. Other's pain and suffering seems to flow off them like waves and I cry for them. I keep being reassured that this is a good thing, a healing, but then why do I feel so damaged?

No comments: